Llandrindod Quaker Meeting

Forum

Forum Home > 'Be still'... How to do it? > ...be centred... Inspirations from others

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

Many people find it difficult to find stillness and keep centred. Let's collect here a few inspirations from others.

October 31, 2010 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner
George Fox:

Be still and cool in your own mind and spirit from your own thoughts, and then you will feel the principle of God to turn your mind to the Lord God...

Do not look at temptations, confusions, corruptions, but at the light that discovers them... and you will feel over them, to receive power to stand against them...

For looking down at sin, and corruption, and distraction, you are swallowed up in it; but looking at the light that discovers them you will see over them.

That will give victory;

and you will find grace and strengh;

and there is the first step of peace.

George Fox, (the founder of Quakerism) A.D. 1658

October 31, 2010 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

Sanjib Mukherjee:

Keeping the mind centred and serene, is one of the primary goals of any spiritual discipline and can be attained with a little understanding of the mechanics of the mind.

Imagine knowledge as being a vast and limitless ocean with our emotions represented by the tidal waves. No matter how high each wave will rise, ultimately it will always fall and submerge back into the ocean. The same principles apply to our emotions, as they come and go at will, but eventually flow back into the depths of knowledge.

Problems arise when we loose awareness of our infinite nature and start identifying ourselves with our fleeting emotions. ” I am happy, I am sad, I am content etc” are all examples of how easily we define ourselves with the most prevalent emotion at any given time. It’s this very identity which becomes the root cause of so many miseries and why we eventually lose complete track of our centredness.

No emotion can every exist forever….you can never be happy all the time, nor can you be depressed all the time. These feelings continuously rise and fall within us, and quite often we have no control over these emotions when they do present themselves. A common misconception amongst many spiritual seekers is the notion that an enlightened soul never gets angry or never gets upset. Nothing could be further from the truth. Anger, frustration and sadness are all naturally occurring feelings which arise within us and are a part of our psychological make-up. However, the difference between a saint and most common individuals is that the saint will always acknowledge these emotions and simply move beyond them. They never identify themselves with these feelings and continuously remind themselves of their connection to theirinfinite knowledge through regular inner contemplation (meditation) and study of the scriptures.

There is a beautiful story concerning Sri Ramakrishna and his most beloved devotee Swami Vivekananda. Ramakrishna used to hold regular satsang sessions in his ashram and invite all his followers to attend and hear him speak. Though he loved everyone dearly, Vivekananda always held a special place in his heart. One afternoon, Ramakrishna purposely decided to ignore Vivekananda during a particular talk. He never looked at his star disciple once and indeed proceeded to continue blanking Vivekananda for an entire month. During the last few days of this unusual behaviour, Ramakrishna even went as far as to scold Vivekananda, telling him he no longer wanted to be his guru, and actually asked him to leave.

Throughout the whole process, Vivekananda would sit quietly, absorb everything Ramakrishna would have to say and carry on returning to hear his master speak. Finally after a few weeks, Ramakrishna confronted his pupil and asked,”why do you keep coming here when I no longer want to see you?”. Vivekananda in his usual composed manner replied “you may not want to see me, but I want to see you…if you get angry at me being here, its your problem, but I love you and will never leave”.

The story is a beautiful illustration of how Vivekananda in his heightened wisdom, never once associated himself with any feelings of hurt or sadness he may have felt towards his master’s treatment to him, but instead he remained rooted in his connection to his own infinite knowledge. Realising that all emotions rise and fall into the ocean, Vivekananda was able to keep his balance and inner happiness.

The process of not getting entangled with our emotions is not an easy one to overcome, but by simply being aware of this phenomenon we are more than half way through to becoming as solid and strong as Swami Vivekananda. Too often we get entangled with small minded matters, and too often we forget that everything in life will come and go, but only our infinite nature will stay forever. Realisation of this one simple statement is the key to spiritual growth and unbreakable inner peace.

Begin to observe your emotions closely. Whenever you feel yourself moving away from your centredness, rather than saying “I am angry”…say “anger has risen within, and in no time will fall back to where it came from”. This shift in mindset will automatically bring you back to your natural self. Try it and see for yourself.

October 31, 2010 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

Robert Pedersen:

One of the greatest challenges in communicating with God is stilling your mind.

You may ask "What does stilling your mind have to do with communication with God"?

Here's the thing. We all have ideas about God. We have expectations about God. We expect ways in which God shows up, speaks, works, moves, etc.

These expectations are the result of religious training, societal training, and parental training. Then along the way we pick up our own unique ideas relating to God.

All this baggage colors our experience with communicating with God.

You could compare it to communicating with a friend. If you have a strong expectation of what they're going to say and they say something different, many times you hear what you expected - not what they actually stated.

Your response gives you away and you discover that there has been a breakdown in communication.

It's no different with God.

If you go into a relationship with God with all your expectations about how God will speak, what God will say, etc... What do you think you will hear?

Exactly what you expected to hear. Then you may go on your way feeling proud of your understanding of God because He told you exactly what you knew He would!

There's a marvelous scripture that helps us to understand God a little better.

Isaiah 55:8-9

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. (KJV)

Whenever you notice yourself expecting God to do or say this or that you may want to reconsider.

There is always the possibility that your expectations are as far from reality as the heavens are above the earth.

Once you still your mind, picture yourself sitting in the presence of God. Don't pretend to know what God will look like. Just allow whatever comes up to be as it is. You may notice the urge to tweak the picture based on your expectations and notions. Try leaving it as it is.

Then you may want to ask a question - try communicating with God. The answer will most likely come in the form of spontaneous, free flowing thoughts - you will notice that they're not your own.

We speak of hearing God's voice when really very few people actually hear an audible voice. Most often it's simply this flow of thoughts - thoughts that haven't been generated by your own mind's analyzing and deducing.

It's quite possible that you've heard God's voice before but your expectations prevented you from recognizing it. Remember, according to the Christ, it is children that enter the kingdom. If you are struggling with how to hear from God -you're likely trying to hard. If a child can do it, so can you.

Children just have the advantage of not having so many expectations.

Scripture advises: Be still and know that I am God - still those expectations. Expect to hear God's voice.

Yes you can!

October 31, 2010 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

Marcelle Martin:

Quakers stress the prayer of listening for divine guidance, a prayer that may not contain any words at all, even inwardly.

Prayer can simply be the act or intention of being receptive to the Divine, not only to divine guidance, but to illumination, energy, healing, and the gradual process of union.

When early Quakers wrote of their experiences in worship, they wrote of waiting in silence, emptying their minds of themselves and their own thoughts until they experienced a Presence among them.

October 31, 2010 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Margo S
Administrator

Quaker Advices & Queries:

Do you try to set aside times of quiet for openness to the Holy Spirit?

All of us need to find a way into silence which allows us to deepen our awareness of the divine and to find the inward source of our strength. Seek to know an inward stillness, even amid the activities of daily life.

Do you encourage in yourself and in others a habit of dependence on God’s guidance for each day? Hold yourself and others in the Light, knowing that all are cherished by God.

June 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj:

When the mind stays in the ‘I am’, without moving, you enter a state which cannot be verbalized but can be experienced.

All you need to do is to try and try again.

After all the sense ‘I am’ is always with you, only you have attached all kinds of things to it — body, feelings, thoughts, ideas, possessions etc. All these self-identifications are misleading. Because of them you take yourself to be what you are not.

August 14, 2012 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

By the way:

... this is not about stopping your thoughts from setting up by forcing them to stop, but by creating a space where your thoughts do not even form....

July 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

Hafiz:

The Sun once glimpsed God's true nature

and has never been the same.

Thus this radiant sphere constantly pulsed its energy

upon this Earth - as does He, from behind the veil.

WIth a wonderful God like that, why isn't everyone a screaming drunk..?

Any thought that you are better or less than another man

quickly breaks the wine glass.

November 25, 2015 at 8:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Oct 15 at 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Sunday, Oct 22 at 11:00 AM - 12:01 PM
Sunday, Nov 5 at 11:00 AM - 12:01 PM
Sunday, Nov 5 at 11:00 AM - 12:01 PM

Website available in other languages:

Dewis iaith - cliciwch

Please select language - and smile. It is automatic translation.
Move the cursor over translated text to see the original.
Close the Translate Toolbar at the top to finish x