The Pales as a Quaker site dates back to 1673, when a burial ground was established. In those days, persecution was rife, and the remote setting was ideal. Later in 1717, it was possible to build a permanent Meeting House. The Pales with its thick stone walls and unusual thatched roof, looks across unparalleled views of central Radnorshire and is renowned as a local beauty spot, as well as a site of special religious and cultural significance. The meeting was never large, however and reached a low ebb in the mid 19th century. A Quaker School In 1867 a school was established which ran successfully until superseded by state education. One teacher was the American Yardley Warner, a prominent campaigner for the rights of slaves, for whom the Wardens Cottage was built. There followed a zealous period, coinciding with the Welsh Revival. But in time numbers dwindled, and the cottage ceased to be occupied by friends, although meetings for worship continued throughout. In the late 19701s Quaker Wardens were re-established and the graveyard restored, the cottage renovated and the meeting house itself re-thatched. Restoration work has continued and now the Pales is again a perfect venue for workshops, retreats etc. where the natural beauty of the surroundings, and an abiding spiritual atmosphere are valued contributions. Its primary function continues to be, as always, a place of worship at which all are ever welcome.....
The Meeting House is used for meetings for worship at 3 p.m. every 3rd Sunday.
Apart from this, it is open all day, every day, all the year round for visitors, at no cost. It is also available for letting to groups who value the peaceful spiritual atmosphere (click here for further details).
To read more (history of Pales included) you are very welcome to http://www.thepales.webs.com/
More photos in our Photo Gallery