Website closed

Forum

Forum Home > Becoming eco-friendly community > Reducing our carbon footprint

Peter H

Use this space to share your successes (and failures) in reducing your personal carbon footprint. 

Just to get things started:  We keep a kettle of water atop our woodburning stove in the lounge.  We use the hot water to wash dishes or to supplement bath water.

January 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

recycling more at home

I have just received a leaflet about new recycling service (every household receiving containers for glass, paper & card, plastic & cans and food waste - to help us recycle more at home). So we are going to help environment by reducing the amount of waste simply sent to landfill where it harms the environment and contributes to global warming and pollution. Needless to say that I personally do my best to recycle as much as possible.

They say that the amount of space left in landfill sites in Wales is rapidly running out. It is very important to reduce, reuse and recycle our waste where possible.

By the way: Many years ago I heard about mountains of waste sent to China and incredible huge areas polluted with american and british rubbish there. People were dying because of the cloud after they tried to burn etc all these american waste... Also you probably have seen photos of Citarum river - a river of rubbish because there is more rubbish than water there these days... Scary.

January 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Admin (Margo)
Site Owner

The Freecycle or FREEGLE Network

There is a Network to promote waste reduction and help save landscape from being taken over by landfills. Freecycle groups match people who have things they want to get rid of with people who can use them, and so keeping usable items out of landfills.You can find the group nearest you at www.freecycle.org . UK Freecycle has been renamed "Freegle" (details at www.ilovefreegle.org).

The Llandrindod FREEGLE group is open to all who live or work in Llandrindod and the surrounding area. A few simple rules keep it easy and fun, and the main one is
Everything Must Be Free!

January 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter H

What Watt?

Think about your electrical usage.  Take lighting for example.  If I put all the ceiling lights on in our lounge I would be using 4.5Kws per hour.  If I just use the side lights I use much less, probably less that 100watts.

Your kettle probably uses 3Kws. That is why it is SO important to only boil the water you need, and only boil once, so many of us switch the kettle on, go off to do something else, then have to re-boil the kettle.

Meeting House Doorkeepers take note of the above!!

February 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Margo S
Administrator

saving trees

I always wanted to plant a few more trees - and what's more I dreamed to plant at least one tree for every year of my life on this planet. I hope there is no need to remind about great benefits for humanity and not only because of reducing carbon level properties and oxygen produced by these marvelous entities...

I was very happy to plant over 54 trees here, in Wales.

I visited 'my trees' many times and was wondering how to help them grow 'faster' and make them strong enough to survive. Some of them was devastated by insane-sane humans, some of them died during winter.  At the moment only 8 trees remained alive.

It seems that it is much easier to build a new house than to make a tree grow.

February 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda Green

We minimise car use; travel by bus whenever possible and train for longer journeys.  We still need the car for Sunday and evening travel but drive a low emissions, fuel-efficient small car.

February 10, 2012 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter H

Last year we collected damsons from the Pales and made two lots of damson jam, the first including skins and the second as a jelly.  This year we made Marmalade with Seville Oranges.  We were not sure how ecological that was.  The marmalade was excellent, nicely bitter but light in texture.  My doubts arise from the amount of cooking required.  I think that in future we will stick to soft fruit which needs little cooking.  Jams and chutneys make excellent gifts for your friends.

February 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter H

We have reduced to one car, and that is efficient, currently we can drive 54 miles to a gallon of petrol.  My driving style has evolved too, i try not to exceed 60mph, and think ahead, e.g. reducing speed by just taking my foot off the acelerator well before the need to brake, and accelerating gently when it's OK to increase speed.

February 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Limited Member

And I keep cooling myself :-)

They calculate that domestic room and water heating accounts for approximately 74% of total emissions from home energy use. By lowering room heating by just 1°C a household can prevent the release of 294 kg of CO2 a year, reducing the annual household emissions by 6%. This shows that simple, small changes can have significant effects.

February 18, 2012 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter H

Public transport isn't just greener, it's can also be great fun.  There can be a comeradery amongst rural public transport users.  I was so involved in an animated discussion that had developed all the way from Shrewsbury, I almost missed my stop!

February 21, 2012 at 5:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda Green

Work is now taking place in our meeting house garden, thanks to the hard work of the community service people.  The rubbish has been cleared away and most of the site levelled.  They have created two compost bins by reusing wooden pallets and have left a pile of twigs and small prunings from the trees for a bug hotel.  The grass has been cut making access to the flower bed much easier.  We can now watch the flora that appears since there is more light to the garden and monitor the garden for sun,  shade, wind etc.  Our visions for the garden can be added to the chart on the noticeboard in the garden room.

--
May 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda Green

A site plan of the garden is now on display in the garden room.  Please add your wishes and visions about how the garden might be developed.

--
August 4, 2013 at 4:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.